Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I can't believe it's Wednesday

Maybe I am having a hard time with this blog because I have never been so busy in my life. I barely know what week it is and I always get confused about whether to respond by Friday or Monday. I do not know what is wrong with me. I'm not usually like this. Today I am going to SMSU to participate in a panel discussion about the transition from high school to college writing. There are two writing center people, one lecturer, and myself. One person from the writing center must think anyone who teachers high school is stupid. I think I said I wanted to talk about students being active participants. She turned to her co-worker and said, "Oh, that sounds just like Friere's banking education." She didn't say concept. Like I didn't know that. Like I didn't know what she was talking about. I didn't say anything. I had the comp students I teach write about what they learned so far that was surprising to them. At first, they are shocked that I ask them to write so much. Yesterday, Chris told the story about a girl he knew that made A's and B's in high school and is now a C and D student in college. Chris said it was all because of her writing. I like it that they feel the class is valuable and that they get a lot out of it. That's rewarding because I want the class to be helpful.

Another rewarding item that is directly related to 8010. For the first time, I did a decent job of teaching students how to interrogate sources. A girl is writing about international adoption. We discussed the credibility of her sources at length. She had the names of two adoption agencies. When she checked the Russian embassy's list of qualified adoption agencies, neither of the two companies were on that list. That was so cool to me. The next quarter starts after spring break, and I plan on using more things that I have learned from 8010.

No comments: