Monday, March 21, 2005

Last Wednesday instead of class

I know I need to do this daily, but I'm having a hard time finding the time. Last Wednesday, I participated in a panel discussion on the transition from high school to college writing. In our preparation meeting, one person on the panel took every idea I ever had. That was okay. I knew I would think of something to talk about. On Tuesday, I had my students write about what they had learned so far in composition. I wanted to know what shocked them. I always get this shocked reaction in comp. None of the students really resist what I ask them to do--mainly write, but there is always this sense of "why haven't we ever done this before?"

I'm not sure how to answer that. Anyway, they wrote about what they learned and that's what I presented to the high school seniors. They seemed interested. I wasn't a total bore, thank goodness. I really love teaching.

No comments: