Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I haven't looked at the The Secret Life of Bees blog in a long time. I tried to check on Manila one time. There has got to be a free version somewhere that works similarly. I'll have to ask my friend Marcia. You need to post these thoughts and questions on your blog, so we'll have a record and keep coming back to it. Have been doing lots of thinking about this research. I think this is also about students navigating school sanctioned writing and peer sanctioned writing--does that make sense? Also, what is the goal of schooling? If it is preparing them for work, then technology is the way work is going (but maybe only for middle and upper class people), if it is for learning and being able to find information then blogging is the way to go. We have to start posting our discussions so more people can read them and discuss with us as we think about these ideas.

The interesting thing to me is that the blogs allow students to make these connections that teachers may not even think about and that students aren't even aware of the different registers they use in online writing and in class environments. I read an article yesterday about a blended learning approach where blogging is a complement to a physical class.

I also keep returning to this blog about connectivism. Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Love the links! I'll come back later to post something more substantial!!!