Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Final Proposal

It's getting to the end of the semester, and I have to turn in my final proposal for qualitative research I. I haven't worked much on it this week. Last week, I was asked so many times what my dissertation topic was. I had a good "answer." This week A's uncle asked me, and I couldnt't seem to put it into words.

I do know that it is so good to say what I am thinking aloud, and to write down my ideas over and over again. So here is my thinking today:

Question: How do web logs impact reading, writing, and thinking in a ninth grade Communication Arts class?

Theoretical Framework:

I'll be looking at this pilot studies through the following framework (I'll need to narrow this to three to five. I may not use all of these.):

1. Communities of Practice
2. Connectivism
3. (Borrowed from Guzzetti and Gamboa) Literacy as Social Practice (Street, 1984, 1995, 1998)--this is probably really similar to Communites of Practice (by Wenger, I believe)
4. "Multiliteracties that adolescents engage in by choice" (New London, 1996)
5. "Recent and expanding notions of what counts as text and textual practices (New London, 1996)

This final project really revolves around the design of this study. And I need to get these words down on paper. At this point, I'm doing a case study, but at times I wonder if it is ethnography or phenomenology, among others.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Keri,
That paper you linked to is great!!