Friday, September 07, 2012

Just a little writing based on your exit passes from Thursday, September 6, 2012.

What's my definition of good writing?

Well, I don't know if you will believe me. But, anytime someone puts words on paper (or a computer) (or anywhere for that matter), I think writing is good. I do believe that everyone can write. Everyone has stories to tell about all kinds of things.

After reading a lot of writing, I think that writing that moves from concrete to abstract and back again really helps ground the reader (with the concrete) and then back out to big ideas and thoughts (abstract). As Hayakawa writes, it's like a monkey in a tree. Writing should move up and down, swinging back and forth from concrete to abstract.

I like complicated ideas in clear writing. My Ph.D advisor said that writing in a clear way is sometimes looked down upon, but in actuality, it's the most difficult writing to do--to write about something so everyone can understand. I think there is a misunderstanding that big ideas need long sentences and big words. (But it also depends on your audience--and the technical vocabulary of what you are writing about).

These are just personal thoughts, but I like a sense of humor. I like reading about things I don't know about and I like to read things that give me ideas or extend my own thinking.

My necklace
Thanks for noticing my necklace. It's called Sarah Coventry. I just googled it. I've never done that before. It's my mom's, and I was thinking she got it in the early 50s, but I think it may be late 50s early 60s. So, it's pretty old. I don't have much jewelry, and I am always losing earrings but I love wearing my mom's necklaces.



No comments: