Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Writing for Myself: Writing to Teach

I feel in a rush, but I don't want to do this in a rush. I guess that is why I put it off. I know that this class helped me be a better composition teacher. I love how we are better at interrogating sources. I love that I can see what MU expects, and I think I have prepared the students in my class adequately--more than adequately actually. I still feel like my role is as a facilitator, as a guide.

Questions that I have: I worry about ranking in the class--that there is this bell curve that these new teachers may feel like they need to go by. I worry that composition becomes just assignments that no one cares about instead of lessons in careful thinking in writing. I would really like to hear about everyone's experience in their classrooms in the fall. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say, and I would love to talk with them more. I love helping students to feel like they can write. Is there any place for that in 1000? I'm not sure.

I learned that composition studies and English Ed are not that far off. Some might not want to admit that, and that's okay.

I liked the Allyn and Bacon book.

I liked Donna's philosophy of teaching.

I'm going to keep blogging. I would like to read Marcia's blog more and Donna's, and be able to respond. I also don't know how to add links, and I would like to know how to do that. I thought about using blogs for the MWP this summer.

I would use blogs in my class--once I got organized.

I have to go to class, but I will be back to this. I will think more on the drive ho

1 comment:

Marcia said...

First, please, feel free to comment at my blog any time you want. I welcome comments!

I don't know what you mean about English Ed. and Composition studies. Can you put that on a list to post about? I'd like to read your ideas.

If we can find a time that works, I'll show you how to make links.

I didn't mean to imply that I don't like the Allyn & Bacon book, because if I had to choose just one book, that would be the one I'd pick. However, I just like the two other books that I mentioned that I feel fit my course design more closely and includes topics on computers and writing. Of course, I recognize this is a personal preference and everyone will have a different opinion. Hey, you know what would have been cool... having a session on choosing textbooks and everyone sharing the aspects of the texts they like the best because I'd like to hear more about what everyone is using (I'm always willing to be persuaded (but not manipulated :-) to choose something else).

I, too, like Donna's teaching philosophy.

What do you feel you need in order to "get organized" and use blogs in your class? Knowing this would help my research.