Monday, February 28, 2005

Class blog for 2/28

The main theme for me was this idea from Charney: "usually practicing a skill reduces the time necessary to execute the skill successfully" except with writing. This seems obvious when I read this. It is important to convey this to students because their thinking is generally the opposite: The more I write, the easier it will get or Writing comes naturally and easily for everyone except me.

This idea was reflected in several of the essays. Bizzell writes that students think that good writers write quickly and get A's, "instant text production." Donald Graves is quoted in Sudol’s article: “Children suggest that when adults write, the words flow, arrive ‘Shazam!’ on the page. Like the tables, word ar dictated to us form on high; we only hold the pen and a mysterious force dictates stories, poems, and letters. The better the writer, the less the struggle.”
All of these quotes made me think about the importance of sharing our own writing processes and failures with students. Sudol agrees, “I model my own invention process by writing along with my students and sharing my work.” So, while you present the invention exercises to the class, will you stand in front of the room watching everyone or will you sit and write with them and share your writing with the class?

No comments: